- Director of the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Program at the National Cancer Institute
- Pro to the question "Is Cell Phone Radiation Safe?"
“As an epidemiologist my statement will focus on studies of risk in human populations. It is also important to note on the biologic side that the radio frequency [RF] radiation from cell phones is billions of times lower than the energy of an x-ray. As such, its effect in the body appears to be insufficient to produce the genetic damage typically associated with developing cancer…
In descriptive data from the large networks of population-based registries funded by NCI, there has been no meaningful increase in the incidence of brain or other nervous system cancers from 1987 through 2005, a time period when cell phone use increased 10-fold.”
Testimony, US Senate Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education hearing on the “Health Effects of Cell Phone Use,” www.hhs.gov, Sep. 14, 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of cell phones. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the study of cell phones.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director, Epidemiology and Biostatistics Program, National Cancer Institute
- Recipient: Abraham Lilienfeld Award from the American College of Epidemiology, the John Snow Award from the American Public Health Association, the American Association of Cancer Research-American Cancer Society Award for Research Excellence in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, the Distinguished Service Medal from the US Public Health Service, the Gorgas Medal from the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, and the Robert S. Gordon Award Lecture at the National Institutes of Health for distinguished achievements in epidemiology.
- ScD, Harvard School of Public Health
- MD, Loyola University of Chicago
- BA, University of Notre Dame
- Contact Info:
- Quoted in:
- Is Cell Phone Radiation Safe? – Pro & Con Quotes